This won’t be your traditional pre-New Years fitness call to action. Nor will it be a condemnation of those thousands who will flock to the gym to once again commit to their fitness goals. Instead, we want to rally around all of you who started, intend to start or have even begun to think about your fitness goals. We want to encourage you to attack your fitness goals with everything you have. Most importantly, if you are eager to start your pursuit to better health and fitness don’t wait for the first start right now! We know that there is some fun to the buildup to January 1st with a celebratory binge on holiday season desserts, meals, parties, etc. as a precursor to the BIG DAY. If you need that marker to get up and get moving, then jump up and give us a virtual midnight smooch and scream HAPPY NEW YEAR and then start right now.
If you need to join a gym then by all means go and sign-up but for those of you who hesitate at the idea of buff, slightly undertoned women complaining about how fat they are when your struggle is REAL then there are so many other great options.
- For runners who need motivation to get up and get…well…running can we suggest, Zombies Run! This fun little app is a simple and fun way to spice up your fitness. Walk, jog or run anywhere in the world. Hear your mission and music through your headphones. These stories include characters, sound FX and missions that add to not impede your pace. The fun begins the minute your “plane descends” and spoiler alert, if you’re chased by zombies, you’ll have to speed up! The goal is to outrun zombies and collect supplies to build up your base. Only a few have survived the zombie epidemic. You are a Runner en-route to one of humanity’s last remaining outposts. They need your help to gather supplies, rescue survivors and defend their home. And you have another mission — one they don’t know about…
- I discovered this awesome group on Instagram and love their Girl Power Community. City Fit Girls is a community of women who love fitness. Their roster of activities includes group runs, group fitness sessions, fitness retreats and even some pretty sweet merch! City Fit Girls was created to connect inner-city women with diet & fitness tips, tools & resources and inspiration to live a healthy lifestyle at home, school and in the workplace.
- Speaking of Instagram, there are sooooo many “fitness experts” out there (a few great, some good, a lot of suspect) but this online resource can be a great FREE way to get motivated on a daily basis for your fitness goals. Everything from motivational quotes, transformation before and after posts, and online nutritionists and personal coaches. While the choice to follow any of these experts should be a well researched and vetted personal decision. One of my favorite Instagrammers who offers a beautifully genuine and encouraging page is @adry_bella (https://www.instagram.com/adry_bella). She lost 150 lbs in 20 months, naturally! Even if you don’t have major weight loss goals her sweet sensibility will keep you motivated and encouraged.
- Calorie counting satisfies my slightly OCD nature and no other app is a daily (sometimes hourly) touchstone like LoseIt! Now LoseIt! just introduced a paid premium option to their services but honestly their FREE offerings will let you track your calories, carbs, fat, sodium, etc. You can set goals and track your progress to those goals and even win badges along the way for things like daily exercise, eating your veggies, losing weight and other milestones. The app comes with an astonishing number of communities within it. Everything from running groups, walking groups, Christian groups, to whatever you can imagine or start yourself.
- Finally, I’m a fan of her fun and bubbly personality that is strongly supported by her solid nutritional and fitness knowledge. Certified fitness instructor Cassey Ho has two YouTube channels that you should definitely be connected and subscribed to, Blogilates and Blogilates TV. One channel is dedicated to workouts while the other is focused on healthy recipes. Vegan, gluten-free, low-carb…you’ll get a sampling of it all from this virtual BFF!
Whatever you choose to access to get you (and more importantly, keep you) motivated just remember that small progress is still progress. Even if you commit to a 15-minute walk everyday just make the commitment to do all you can do for as long as you can. If you do, we promise you that 2016 will end with a Brand New You!